Clean out the Pantry Crockpot Ham and Bean Soup
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of our links, we receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Our Sweetly Spiced Life!
Winter is definitely not my favorite season. The weather sucks; no one seems to know how to drive in the snow and ice, and the sun pretty much takes this season off. Between the cold and darkness, I want to do absolutely nothing except curl up under blankets and read a good book or order takeout and binge watch Netflix. I’d like to say I spend more time doing the former, but let’s be honest, it usually ends up being the latter.
Knowing that our motivation for cooking and, well, anything involving effort, wanes quickly with the setting sun this time of year, we’ve been thinking about super simple meal ideas that take minimal effort and still manage to check that elusive “healthy eating” box. Enter this delicious ham and bean soup. Loaded with dried herbs, hearty beans, and delicious ham, this insanely easy slow cooker soup is bursting with flavor. Just chop a few veggies, dump everything into your Crockpot; set it, and go.
This soup is perfect for using up leftover veggies, since there are inevitably extra onions, carrots, and celery hanging out in the fridge from other recipes. It’s also wonderful for using up those dried beans hiding somewhere in the depths of your pantry (if you need a weekend project to get your pantry organized, check out our simple DIY pantry shelf!). We love to make this after the holidays with leftover ham too! The first time I made this soup it came together using only ingredients we had in the house; I didn’t have to go out and buy a thing. You can’t beat a meal that you can make from what you already have on hand, right?
So decide what great new show you’re going to binge tonight, throw this soup together, and enjoy your evening. Stay warm!
Don’t be caught unprepared; grab these today!
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 3 Large Carrots (or 12-15 baby carrots), chopped into 1/2" slices
- 4 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 1/2 Cups dried beans and/or lentils of your choice (I used 1/2 Cup each of black beans, red beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans, and brown lentils)
- 2 Cups chopped ham, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 8 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Soak beans overnight, if desired. Drain and rinse beans. (This will speed up the cooking process but is not required.)
- Add all ingredients into Crockpot.
- Cook for 5 hours on high, or about 9 hours on low, until beans reach desired doneness. (Plan on increasing these times if you didn't soak the beans)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
What great recipes do you turn to on bitterly cold days? Let us know down in the comment section below! While you’re here, make sure to subscribe using the box on the right, and find us on Pinterest and Facebook. Until next time, enjoy the journey!