Amazing 5-Minute Guacamole!
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of our links, we receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Our Sweetly Spiced Life!
Ah, Summer… season of lawn games, BBQs, family gatherings, and late-night partying. It’s one of my favorite times of the year (you know, along with Fall… and Spring… and the 1 week of winter I love before I’m over the cold and ready to see the sun again). Anyway, with all the spontaneous get-togethers that accompany these warm months and the longer days, I have to be able to whip up a quick side or appetizer, and guacamole is pretty much my dish. Cory has his delicious fresh salsa, always ridiculously popular (pretty sure my mom eats it for lunch whenever he takes some for her and Dad, and if there’s any left after a party, friends are always eager to take some home), and I’m known for guac.
In summers past, I was very particular about my guac; I’d dice all my ingredients by hand, trying to keep sizes uniform and carefully measure out spices. However, as I’m hustling to build my studio and gig schedule, working part-time for extra income, and blogging with Cory, I’ve realized that, well, I just don’t have that much free time, especially to spend cutting veggies up into tiny uniform pieces. I wasn’t willing to give up my beloved guac, so I decided to streamline the process by using my Mini Food Prep to do most of the work for me. Now I make up a giant batch of my guacamole “mix-ins,” keep them in the fridge (I think they last about a week, but honestly, they’re rarely around so long) and combine them with avocados, spices, and lime juice whenever I’m in the mood or in need of a party side.
While I love eating guacamole with tortilla chips, I’m working to make healthier choices along the way, so lately I’ve been using baby bells, which I love anyway, as chips instead! I’ve also been known to dip carrots and radishes in guac, or sometimes I’ll fill the sliced baby bells with a dollop as a pretty appetizer instead. However you choose to eat your delicious guac, don’t spend all your time on the prep work anymore; make it in 5 minutes, and spend your time eating it with friends instead!
Make sure you’re prepared for this delicious recipe!
- 3-4 LARGE Ripe Avocados (or 6-7 med/small avocados)
- 1C Cilantro leaves
- 1/2C Red bell, roughly chopped
- 1/2C Red Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves
- Juice from 1 Lime (about 4 tsp)
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- For the "Mix-ins:" Using a mini food-prep, chop the cilantro leaves a bit first; then add red onion, bell, and garlic, and process until chopped small.
- Mash avocados slightly with a fork. Add mix-ins, chili powder, paprika, salt, and lime juice and mash until desired consistency.
- Serve with tortilla chips, baby bell chips, or vegetables of your choice!
- You can keep mix-ins in the fridge for about a week; whenever you're ready to use them, add them to the remaining ingredients. I usually make extra mix-ins to have on hand! If your mix-ins get a little watery, simply drain the excess juice before combining with avocados and spices.
What’s your favorite quick and easy party dish for summer gatherings? Let me know in the comments, and connect with us on Facebook! Enjoy the long summer days and the late nights!