Looking for new, different, and healthier meals? Make up this delicious roasted vegetable pizza that has is loaded up with veggies and packed with flavor!
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of our links, we receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Our Sweetly Spiced Life!
Roasted Vegetable Pizza
Isn’t pizza just like the best go-to dinner for nights where you don’t feel like cooking anything or for those times when you feel like vegging out in front of the TV? It’s quick, delicious, and can be personalized to meet almost any preferences. You can find pizzas in almost any flavor combination imaginable. We here at Our Sweetly Spiced Life, however, struggle with the fact that carryout or frozen pizzas aren’t always the healthiest options, and while they are often tasty, they don’t always leave us feeling great. Nothing ruins a movie date night faster than a pizza-induced food coma. Shouldn’t there be a way to make a healthier vegetable pizza in the time it would take to grab carryout or have pizza delivered?
Off we went to the kitchen to solve this conundrum. We needed a combination of flavors delicious enough to make us cook the pizza instead of ordering one, and it needed to go together relatively quickly, since we don’t want to spend the entire night on a super-involved recipe. To get us started, we thought back to the pizzas we tend to grab or order on our lazy nights. We decided to expand upon on of our favorite frozen pizzas, a vegan roasted vegetable pizza with a caramelized onion spread instead of tomato sauce, to make a quick and easy veggie pizza that would be delicious, nutritious, and simple. We add some goat cheese to this pizza, but you could easily leave that off to make a vegan vegetable pizza that’s equally delicious! We’re extremely pleased with the result of this vegetable pizza and know you will be too.
For the Roasted Vegetable Pizza Crust:
To make this vegetable pizza go together quickly, we used a pre-made Pizza Crust full of tasty sprouted grains. For a crispier crust, brush the crust with some olive oil and bake in the oven for 3 minutes or so before adding toppings. You can also add some herbs to the crust to add extra flavor (we use oregano, thyme, parsley, and basil).
For the Roasted Vegetable Pizza Toppings:
Roasting up the onions and the mushrooms frees up hands-on time to prep the remaining elements. Slice them up, toss in some olive oil, lightly salt and pepper them, and spread them out on separate baking sheets. Roast, stirring occasionally, until done. While the veggies roast, whip up your balsamic glaze by cooking balsamic vinegar in a skillet or shallow pan, stirring occasionally, over medium low heat until reduced and thickened. During this time, wilt some spinach.
Once the mushrooms and onions finish, blend up half of them to create a “sauce” for the pizza. If you don’t like pizza/tomato sauce (Joelle always makes us order light sauce… *sigh*), this unique spread makes a great alternative. Spread the sauce on the pizza crust and top with the remaining mushrooms and onions, wilted spinach, and roasted red peppers. Crumble some goat cheese on the top and drizzle with the balsamic glaze. Slide the vegetable pizza in the oven, bake 10 minutes, and you’re good to go! Top the pizza with a bit more balsamic drizzle and dig in!
It’s Vegetable Pizza Time!
Roasted Vegetable Pizza Recipe-easy homemade healthy vegetarian pizza! Fun, different gourmet pizza topped with veggies galore: mushrooms, spinach, roasted red peppers, and onions for a unique artisan pizza experience. Get fancy with this pizza DIY! Gluten Free, Thin Crust, Thick Crust-crust/dough is up to you! Perfect healthy dinner recipe for two or for the family! Great cheap meal for a fall weeknight, or try it grilled for a healthy vegetarian pizza idea!
- 1 pizza crust or flatbread
- 16oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 2C lightly packed spinach
- 1/4C water for wilting spinach
- 1 roasted red pepper, sliced thin
- 3 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4C crumbled goat cheese, or more to taste
- 1/4C balsamic vinegar
- Dried basil, thyme, oregano, and thyme (optional, for crust)
Roasted Mushrooms and Onions
- Toss sliced mushrooms in 1.5 Tbsp olive oil and spread on a baking sheet.
- Toss sliced onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil and spread on a separate baking sheet.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on mushrooms and onions.
- Roast at 350, stirring and checking every 5 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and browned and onions are browned (about 15 minutes).
- Add balsamic vinegar to skillet or shallow pan and heat over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened. Set aside.
- Add spinach to empty skillet with 1/4C of water and cook until spinach is wilted.
- While spinach and glaze are cooking, add half of the mushrooms and onions to a food processor and pulse until a thick paste is formed, scraping down sides as needed with a spatula to ensure even mixing.
- (If you want a crispier crust, brush crust with olive oil and bake at 400 for about 3 minutes. For an herb crust, sprinkle crust with dried herbs before baking.)
- Spread mushroom/onion paste onto the crust. Top with remaining mushrooms, onions, and the spinach, red peppers, and crumbled goat cheese. Drizzle with some of the balsamic glaze.
- Bake in oven at 400 for 7-10 minutes until toppings are warmed through, crust is crisp, and cheese starts to brown.
- Top pizza with more balsamic glaze just before serving, if desired.
Check out some more great food ideas:
What’s your favorite type of pizza? Let us know down in the comments section below! While you’re here, be sure to subscribe and check us out on Facebook and Pinterest so you never miss another recipe, DIY, or social life post from Our Sweetly Spiced Life!